Now that the wedding season is in full swing, it’s time for a poll to crown a Legal Eagle Wedding Watch couple of the month. We have two outstanding entries for April:
You can read all about these newlyweds after the jump. But if you’re ready to vote, here’s the poll:
1. Keira Driansky and David Simon
(Buy them an ice bucket.)
- Prestige makes an emphatic return to LEWW this week with this über-elite pairing. Keira, a Marshall scholar, and David, a Rhodes scholar, mated in that teeming, incestuous petri dish that is the Oxford American grad scene. She was summa at Yale; he was summa at the University of Minnesota.
- They’re both at Harvard now, where’s she’s completing an MBA and he’s getting a JD.
The Case Against:
- Nothing. We wish we could be annoyed by their perfection, but they look totally nice and cute. We predict that David will clerk for a mid-range feeder — say Garland or Boudin — and then, sure as the sparks fly upward, join the Elect. (Kennedy. Definitely Kennedy.)
2. Kristy Hong and Jonas Blank III
(Buy them a placemat.)
- Another Harvard couple, this time both from HLS. The bride did her undergrad at MIT; the groom went to Duke.
- Many of you will recognize Jonas as the 2003 Skadden summer associate who notoriously — and mistakenly, of course — sent the firm’s entire underwriting department an e-mail in which he announced that he was “busy doing jack shit” and occupying himself by “typing e-mails and bullshitting with people.” Moments later Jonas’s name was blazing like a comet across Biglaw. His jaw-dropping blunder earned a write-up in the New Yorker and a page on snopes.com (which includes Jonas’s apology) (also see coverage by ATL and Skadden Insider). LEWW is delighted to shine the spotlight on Jonas once again, this time in happier circumstances.
- Despite his monumental gaffe, Jonas received an offer from Skadden. (Note to 2Ls: That was a happier era for summer associates. You’re living in leaner times.) He was an associate there until March 2007, and he’s now flourishing at Richards Kibbe & Orbe, where he may be the most famous associate (but not the hottest — that title goes to the groom in couple #2 here).
- Kristy practices employment and compliance law at Warner Music Group in New York.
The Case Against:
- Their website touts a “honeyfund” for their wedding guests to pony up for the honeymoon. LEWW need hardly say that we consider this to be in dubious taste.