As we’ve explained before, overall head count numbers can be misleading. In these days of layoffs, acknowledged and stealth, firms could still be cutting associates while putting up big head count numbers.
But it’s always fun to gawk at the huge Manhattan behemoths. Today, the New York Law Journal Magazine released their annual report on on the largest firms in New York:
The NYLJ 100 ranks the 100 largest private law offices as of Sept. 30, irrespective of where a firm is headquartered, whether it claims a home office or in what state or country it originated or has the majority of its lawyers. The exception this year is that in a few cases numbers are as of October, to better reflect late-breaking events.
The top fifteen biggest firms (numbers show attorneys in New York) are not surprising:
1. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom: 910
2. Weil, Gotshal & Manges: 679
3. Dewey & LeBoeuf: 663
4. Simpson Thacher & Bartlett: 657
5. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison: 644
6. Davis Polk & Wardwell: 607
7. Debevoise & Plimpton: 535
8. Cravath, Swaine & Moore: 529
9. Sullivan & Cromwell: 499
10. Sidley Austin: 469
11. Schulte Roth & Zabel: 459
12. Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton: 450
13. Proskauer Rose: 448
14. White & Case: 443
15. Willkie Farr & Gallagher: 435
You can read the full list here. Behold the magnificence of size.