The first month of the new year turned out to be a great one for lawyers, but as usual, we don’t exactly mean that in the nicest of ways. January brought us new legal controversies of all varieties, from all kinds of places.
With terroristic threats allegedly made by an associate at one Biglaw firm, and scandalous sexual allegations raised by a partner from another one, we knew that we’d have a crop of crass and sex-crazed behavior for this round of our Lawyer of the Month competition.
That being said, let’s check out our nominees for the month of January….
Here are your choices. As always, the criteria for Lawyer of the Month are whatever you guys think the criteria should be.
- William Robinson III: You’d think that given the state of the economy, the president of the American Bar Association would be more in touch with the plight of recent law school graduates, but you’d be wrong. Instead, Robinson believes that young lawyers “should have known what they were getting into.” Everyone else thinks that point of view is inconceivable.
- Courtney King: During the first week of January, Ms. King was crowned Queen with our Lawyer of the Day title after allegedly telling the police the following: “You are going to… die. I’m a lawyer. You can Google me. You are dead. I work at a law firm in Indianapolis.” Apparently presenting yourself as a Biglawyer is now considered a terroristic threat.
- Paul Vance: Being the general counsel of an NFL team sounds like a pretty sweet gig, but if you happen to be looking for a way out, look no further, because this guy can tutor you on the quickest way to get fired. It looks like Vance allegedly made a contractual drafting error that could cost the Jacksonville Jaguars millions of dollars… oopsie!
- The Edwards Wildman Ménage à Trois: Walter Reed, Laurie Hall, and Lawrence Cohen used to be partners in crime at this Biglaw firm, until Cohen found out that Reed had allegedly partnered with Hall, his wife. Now Cohen, the supposedly cuckolded spouse, is suing, claiming that the merger between Reed and Hall forced him out of his wife’s heart, and into resignation from the firm.
- Erika Uhlig: Currently a 2L at the University of Illinois College of Law, this law student will forever be remembered as the “Bachelor B*tch,” after appearing on ABC’s reality television show and making catty comments about competitors. While she failed to win the love of a man who resembles a neanderthal, she succeeded in getting pranked by her classmates.
Please vote in the poll below. Voting will end on SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12, at 11:59 PM (Eastern time).
Who should be January's Lawyer of the Month?
- Courtney King (33%, 94 Votes)
- William Robinson III (30%, 86 Votes)
- The Edwards Wildman Ménage à Trois (26%, 73 Votes)
- Erika Uhlig (8%, 23 Votes)
- Paul Vance (2%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 283
Earlier: The ABA Thinks It’s Your Own Fault If You’re Poor and Unemployed
Lawyer of the Day: Alleged Death Threats Put Attorney on Ice
Google Me, B***h: The Real Deal on Courtney King’s Arrest
How to Get Fired From Your Job as General Counsel to an NFL Team
Wild Alleged Love Triangle at Edwards Wildman
Fame Brief: Illinois 2L Is Kicked Off the Bachelor, Pranked By Classmates