While many would-be lawyers were busy taking the bar exam in July, actual lawyers (and law students) were allegedly busy behaving badly. We’ve singled out a lucky few for our Lawyer of the Month honors.
Some of our nominees have adopted unusual career alternatives, and others have allegedly adopted unusual sexual relationships. But who will come out on top in our monthly contest?
Take a look at our nominees for July’s Lawyer of the Month and find out….
Here are your choices, along with a description of the allegations about each nominee. As always, the criteria for Lawyer of the Month are whatever you guys think the criteria should be.
- Erika Awakening: How does one go from being an attorney with the prestigious antitrust division of the DOJ to being a self-proclaimed guru of the seduction community? Just ask Erika Frick (she uses a sexy pseudonym for her services), the attractive HLS grad who’s now a full-time pickup artist.
- Benula Bensam: She may only be a law student, but Bensam’s got enough kookiness to rival that of any lawyer. After being reprimanded for sending notes to Judge Jed Rakoff during the Rajat Gupta trial, she decided to sue everyone and their mother for taking her cell phone.
- Tey Tsun Hang: Having sex with a law professor is enough to ensure that your grades will rise, but in Singapore, students allegedly shower their professors with expensive gifts in addition to office-hours sexy time. Tey is accused of “corruptly obtaining gratification” from a former student. Hot for teacher?
- Lawrence McCreery: You know that your case isn’t going well when a judge calls you a “dirty old man” in open court. This Hawaiian attorney would apparently rather lick his clients than lei them. He was found guilty of harassment after engaging in some unwanted tongue action with a client’s ear.
- Peter Raventos: In a bizarre story out of Indiana, this lawyer has been accused of setting an elaborate booby trap for himself. Raventos was shot in the back, but the police don’t have a motive for his alleged actions (and from what we can tell, they don’t seem to care about getting one).
Please vote in the poll below. Voting will end on THURSDAY, AUGUST 9, at 11:59 PM (Eastern time).
Who should be July's Lawyer of the Month?
- Benula Bensam (57%, 163 Votes)
- Peter Raventos (14%, 39 Votes)
- Erika Awakening (13%, 38 Votes)
- Lawrence McCreery (9%, 27 Votes)
- Tey Tsun Hang (7%, 20 Votes)
Total Voters: 287
Earlier: The Life and Times of Erika Awakening, Professional Pickup Artist and Harvard Law Grad
Some Law Students Learn From Their Mistakes; Others Sue The U.S. Marshals Over A Cell Phone
Law Professor Charged in Sex-for-Grades Corruption Scandal
Lawyer of the Day: Hawaii Attorney Convicted of Harassment for Licking a Client’s Ear
Lawyer of the Day: Midwestern Attorney Allegedly Sets Trap On Himself