Is it acceptable to say a friendly hello to a Supreme Court justice if you see one of the nine out in public? That’s the question posed in a recent Dear Prudence column. As
a federal judicial stalker an Article III groupie myself, I say yes. Because who knows? The justice might give you an autograph (and some free wine).
But some people don’t need to chase after Supreme Court justices. Some people will get to work closely with the members of the high court as law clerks, crafting the opinions that will rule us all.
Thanks to everyone who responded to our recent request for SCOTUS clerk hiring news for October Term 2014. Let’s look at the updated list of clerks hired so far….
The updated list appears below. My guess is that at least six of the justices — Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Kennedy, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Kagan — are done for OT 2014, and we just haven’t gotten all the names yet. Remember that we give special treatment to the last clerk(s) whose hiring we hear about, so if you want a dedicated profile just about you, conceal your hiring from us as long as possible. It’s like The Hunger Games (affiliate link): the last person standing gets a prize!
Please note that while we believe these hires are for October Term 2014, it’s possible that some are for October Term 2015. If you are aware of any errors on this (or any other) front, or any hires we have not yet reported, please email us (subject line: “SCOTUS clerk hiring”) or text us (646-820-8477). Danke.
OCTOBER TERM 2014 SUPREME COURT CLERK HIRES (as of November 7, 2013)
Chief Justice John G. Roberts
1. Kathryn Cherry (Yale 2013 / Kavanaugh)
2. Chris Michel (Yale 2013 / Kavanaugh)
3. Graham Phillips (Harvard 2013 / Griffith)
Justice Antonin Scalia
1. Samuel Eckman (Chicago 2013 / Kozinski)
2. Benjamin Flowers (Chicago 2012 / Ikuta)
3. Judd Stone (Northwestern 2010 / Winfree (Alaska) / E. Jones)
4. Vivek Suri (Harvard 2013 / Sutton)
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy
1. Andrew Bentz (UVA 2012 / Kozinski)
2. James Crooks (Columbia 2013 / Kozinski)
3. Joshua Matz (Harvard 2012 / Oetken (S.D.N.Y.) / Reinhardt)
4. Caroline Van Zile (Yale 2012 / Kavanaugh / Boasberg (D.D.C.))
Justice Clarence Thomas
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
1. Ari Holtzblatt (Yale 2010 / Tatel),
2. Mark Musico (Columbia 2011 / Boudin / Woodlock (D. Mass.))
3. Lauren Pardee (Yale 2010 / Rakoff (S.D.N.Y.) / Katzmann / Liu (Cal.))
Justice Stephen G. Breyer
1. Michael Gervais (Yale 2011 / Kozinski)
2. Kendall Turner (Stanford 2013 / Garland)
UPDATE (11/8/2013, 10:45 a.m.): Wow! Some justices are already hiring for 2015. Farah Peterson (Yale 2012 / Calabresi), originally listed as an OT 2014 clerk, has apparently been hired for OT 2015.
Justice Samuel Alito
Justice Sonia Sotomayor
1. Michael Pollack (NYU 2011 / J.R. Brown)
Justice Elena Kagan
1. Will Dreher (Harvard 2013 / Kavanaugh)
2. Daniel Hemel (Yale 2012 / Boudin / Srinivasan)
3. Amanda Rice (Harvard 2011 / Boasberg (D.D.C.) / Tatel)
4. Elizabeth Wilkins (Yale 2013 / Garland)
Justice John Paul Stevens (retired)
1. Travis Crum (Yale 2011 / Thompson (M.D. Ala.) / Tatel / Bristow Fellow)
Justice Sandra Day O’Connor (retired):
1. Eli Savit (Michigan 2010 / Bea / Tatel)
Justice David H. Souter (retired):
Do you have a hire we haven’t reported yet, or an addition or correction to any of this information? Please email us (subject line: “SCOTUS clerk hiring”) or text us (646-820-8477). Thanks!
Help! My Husband Tried to Record My Friend Undressing. [Slate]
Waiter, There’s a Gavel in My Soup [City Room / New York Times]