There are several things that we can learn from this year’s summer associate event contest, because our readers’ unique tastes manifested themselves in the results. Lawyers and law students really like pop music performed by some of the hottest acts in America, but they love liquor even more. They’re wishy-washy when it comes to sporting events, but they absolutely hate cooking. After all, cooking is a real non-sequitur when Biglaw attorneys survive on Seamless.
Keeping these facts in mind, which firm do you think we’ll crown as the winner of this year’s competition?
If you guessed it was Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff, then congratulations, because you were correct. The firm stole the show with this glowing nomination, taking home 23 percent of the vote:
I’d like to throw my firm in the hat for coolest summer associate events. For the last outing, we took our summers on the Bourbon Tour in Louisville Kentucky. We visited the Maker’s Mark distillery, which was pure class – something you can expect from a great bourbon like Maker’s. Then we toured the Jim Beam distillery, which was enjoyable, but not as much as Maker’s. However, Jim Beam did have a little sandwich shop that sold bourbon ice cream. Can’t beat that. It was pretty great to learn about and partake in my favorite bourbon when I could/should have been billing hours.
More than 1,000 votes were cast in this year’s contest, and these were the final results after voting closed:
Which firm put on the best summer associate event of 2014?
- Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff - Distillery Tours (23%, 274 Votes)
- Katten Muchin Rosenman - Lady Gaga Concert (18%, 213 Votes)
- Skadden Arps - Jay-Z and Beyonce Concert (14%, 164 Votes)
- Cooley LLP - Sporting Clay Range (11%, 132 Votes)
- Smith Anderson - Bubble Soccer (11%, 129 Votes)
- Sullivan & Cromwell - Royal Palms Club (11%, 125 Votes)
- Squire Patton Boggs - Magic Castle (7%, 84 Votes)
- Kaye Scholer - Competition Cook-Off (5%, 57 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,177
Congratulations again to the Indianapolis office of Benesch for hosting a wonderful event for its summer associates, and for proving that the typical stereotype for lawyers is true — they really love a good drink.