“Because of the hugely influential role that the Fortune 500 companies play in the business world, studying their adoption and use of social media blogs offers important insights into the future of commerce. These corporations provide a look at emergent social media trends among America’s most successful companies.”
A Fortunate Benchmark
According to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Center for Marketing Research 2014 study focusing on Fortune 500 social media adoption:
- 157 or 31% of the F500 companies are blogging.
- Companies ranked in the top 200 (45%), consistently out blogged those in the bottom 200 (35%).
- There’s “no indication that blogging in other business sectors is waning” despite a small decline.
- Compare: 52% of the fastest-growing companies in the US blogged in 2013 (Inc. 500).
- 413 or 83% of the F500 have corporate Twitter accounts. That’s a 6% increase over last year.
- 401 or 80% of F500 are on Facebook. That’s a 10% increase over last year.
- 254 or 51% of F500 use Foursquare compared to only 44 companies last year.
The study concludes: