2013 Year in Review
Admin, Announcements, Christopher Christie, David Boies, Gay, Gay Marriage, Litigators, Litigatrix, New Jersey, Partner Issues, Politics, Reader Polls, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, SCOTUS, Small Law Firms, Supreme Court, Ted Olson
Congratulations to our 2013 Lawyer of the Year!
Admin, Announcements, Asians, Bar Exams, Biglaw, Bonuses, Celebrities, Divorce Train Wrecks, Law Schools, Magic Circle, Money, Partner Issues, Pro Se Litigants, Racism, Rankings, Reality TV, Sexism, Small Law Firms, U.S. News, Videos, Women's Issues, YouTube
What were the 10 biggest stories about the legal profession in 2013, according to readers of Above the Law?
Kinney is currently running an exclusive search for an Asia GC role at a well known tech start-up company, based in Shenzhen. This company has received significant recent praise for their new smart phone device in leading medial outlets, such as the New York Times, TIME, Mashable, Wired, Yahoo, and Forbes, among others.
Biglaw, Blank Rome, Contract Attorneys, Crime, Deaths, Document Review, Federal Judges, Gay Marriage, Law Firm Mergers, Law Schools, Morning Docket, Romance and Dating, SCOTUS, Sonia Sotomayor, State Judges, Supreme Court, Texas, Violence, You Go Girl
* Exciting news: Justice Sonia Sotomayor will be leading the countdown on the New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square. She’ll be the first SCOTUS justice to perform the task. You go girl! [New York Times]
* Blank Rome and Nixon Peabody are reportedly in merger talks, but one firm’s managing partner says he “talk[s] to firms all the time,” it’s no big deal. No word on what guys from his high school do. [Reuters]
* Sorry, Quinn Emanuel, but this limited discovery thing is going to happen. Judge Ronnie Abrams recently slapped down the firm’s attempt to appeal her MTD denial in this contract attorney’s suit. [Am Law Daily]
* A state court judge from Texas stands accused of strangling his girlfriend over the balcony of his apartment and threatening to “f**king kill [her].” Romance in Texas has certainly got some of that je ne sais quoi. [Dallas Morning News]
* A legal soap opera? An ex-prosecutor whose relationship with a judge landed her lover in hot water was found dead in her home hours after a judicial misconduct ruling came down. R.I.P. [Reno Gazette-Journal]
* Take a look back at the legal profession’s year that was: from the highest of highs in gay marriages to the lowest of lows in law school enrollment, 2013 was a year for the record books. [National Law Journal]
From distinguished to despicable, who should be Above the Law’s Lawyer of the Year for 2013? Please vote in our poll!
Who should be Above the Law’s Lawyer of the Year for 2013? Give us some suggestions!