Britney Spears has a new beau, and he works at a law firm. Who is he?
Biglaw, Billable Hours, Britney Spears, Celebrities, Copyright, Dewey & LeBoeuf, Divorce Train Wrecks, General Counsel, john quinn, Morning Docket, Pornography, Sex Scandals, United Kingdom / Great Britain, William Burck
* The billable hour may be far from dead, but last year, 61% of general counsel worked out alternative fee arrangements with outside counsel, including counsel from elite (read: Biglaw) firms. [Wall Street Journal]
* Dewey need to take lessons on revenge from this firm? John Altorelli, the D&L defector who spilled all the beans to the Am Law Daily, was blasted on Page Six this weekend. More on this to come later today. [New York Post]
* CHECK YOU LATERALS: recent Quinn Emanuel hires William Burck, Paul Brinkman, and Andrew Schapiro, as well as name partner John Quinn, have entered appearances on behalf of Megaupload. [Am Law Daily]
* Copyright infringement suits over porn downloading involving some 3,500 defendants were dismissed because the plaintiffs’ attorney, Terik Hasmi, couldn’t get it in legally in Florida. [National Law Journal]
* In England, there’s no such thing as a no-fault divorce, but instead, you can get one for “unreasonable behavior” — behavior like malicious service of tuna casserole, and speaking only in Klingon. [New York Times]
* This gives “I’m a Slave 4 U” some new meaning. Britney Spears’s fiancé, Jason Trawick, is trying to start their impending rocky marriage off on the right foot. He’ll soon be her co-conservator. [New York Daily News]
Litigation finance is a funding tool many companies are considering to help cover the fees and expenses related to major legal claims. We at Lake Whillans Litigation Finance have compiled a list of questions to help you determine if your client is a candidate for litigation finance.
Our law student readers are well aware that finals season is underway. And for the average law student, poring over pages and pages of text can get mind-numbingly boring very quickly. Apparently one controversial professor at a D.C. law school figured that out, and decided to add a bit of excitement to his lecture slides. Because nude pictures are great study aids….
* Some people regret going to law school; Rachel Kramer Bussel regrets not finishing. But she wound up at the same delicious destination as so many JDs, namely, cupcakes. [The Gloss and Cupcakes Take the Cake] * Speaking of law school, Professor Dan Filler asks: Despite all the gloom and doom, is now actually an […]
* Prisons are short on lethal injection drugs like thiopental sodium and propofol. Now we can’t kill people anymore. Thanks MJ, thanks a lot. [Wall Street Journal; New York Times] * There’s a job opening at the Brooklyn DA’s Office. Mahsa Saeidi-Azcuy, one of the only employed contestants on The Apprentice, has left the building. […]