State Judges Are Clowns
- Celebrities, Drinking, Health Care / Medicine, Law Schools, Legal Ethics, Money, Morning Docket, Pornography, SCOTUS, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Supreme Court
We’ve written in these pages before about the wrath that breastfeeding mothers incur on a seemingly daily basis. Like it or not, for some women, breastfeeding is part and parcel of being a new mother. And whether you’ve lost your job or you’ve been prevented from taking the LSAT, sometimes the discrimination that these women face just seems downright unfair.
So what happens when you’re a breastfeeding mother but life just isn’t cooperating with you? What happens when you have to start nursing in a public place, and that place just so happens to be a courtroom?
Here’s what one judge has to say about whipping out a boob in public….
Because of your disdain for the young man’s use of the term ‘baby momma,’ you ordered that the defendant be summarily jailed.
– An excerpt from a Judicial Qualifications Commission complaint filed in Georgia against Chief Superior Court Judge Amanda Williams, who oversees the operation of state’s largest drug court. Williams faces an ethics complaint for “using tyrannical partiality” on the bench.
- Email Scandals, Football, Law Reviews, Law Schools, Non-Sequiturs, Sports, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Texas, Violence
* Remember Judge William Adams, the Texas state court judge who was reportedly videotaped in the act of beating his daughter, Hillary Adams? He has now commented on the situation (and so has his ex-wife, Hallie Adams). [KZTV.com]
* And here is Kashmir Hill’s take on the whole sad situation. [Not-So Private Parts / Forbes]
* FYI, if you have problems with anonymous comments here at Above the Law, you should know that we’re having an internal discussion about possibly changing our system. [What About Clients?]
* Says Elie: “Some say WVU’s lawsuit against the Big East reflects ‘arrogance.’ The real arrogance is how Notre Dame refuses to come in and save the conference.” [Legal Blitz]
* Swordplay: it’s all fun and games until someone’s intestines spill out of his abdomen. [CBS 3 - Springfield]
- Family Law, Judge of the Day, Kids, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Texas, Videos, Violence, YouTube
Warning: the following video is very disturbing. I’m not a squeamish person, and I couldn’t really watch the whole thing.
It’s sweeping the internet today: it’s a video of a man beating his daughter. Allegedly, that man is Judge William Adams, the Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge.
And the video was uploaded by Hillary Adams, the victim.
It’s all a bit much. But it is what everybody is talking about today….
Earlier this year, we brought you the story of Judge Rae Lee Chabot, a state court judge in Michigan. Judge Chabot was accused of taking three-hour lunch breaks and long shopping trips to the Gap, in the middle of the workday.
I wrote in defense of Judge Chabot, whose judicial work was well-regarded despite her, ummm, flexible work schedule. I opined that “[a]s long as a judge is reasonably current with his docket, he should be left alone. There is no face-time requirement for judges.”
But even I would have a hard time defending the latest judicial diva under fire, Judge Maryesther Merlo of Allentown District Court in Pennsylvania. Judge Merlo — or make that ex-judge Merlo, since she just got removed from the bench — allegedly missed 116 days of work, from September 2007 to December 2009. That amounts to over 23 weeks, in a period of about two years.
And that’s not all Maryesther Merlo stands accused of. Her treatment of defendants appearing before her may have strayed beyond the merely tough into the downright rude….
- Bar Exams, Breasts, California, Divorce Train Wrecks, Family Law, Kasowitz Benson, Morning Docket, Nancy Grace, Perks / Fringe Benefits, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Women's Issues
- Clerkships, Crime, Lawsuit of the Day, Ridiculousness, Rudeness, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Violence
When I learned about this lawsuit out of Montana (via Morning Docket), I thought it might be from The Onion or an old episode of Ally McBeal. Reports the Billings Gazette: “A lawsuit has been filed against Fergus County District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips by a female law clerk who alleges that the judge slapped her in the buttocks with a legal file.”
If the clerk’s allegation is true, was Judge Phillips’s action inappropriate? Certainly. Was it rude? Most definitely. But should it spawn a civil lawsuit, as well as possible criminal charges? Absolutely not.
And wait until you hear what the clerk is claiming in damages….
- Biglaw, Department of Justice, In-House Counsel, Law Professors, Musical Chairs, Non-Sequiturs, Pets, Solicitor General's Office, State Judges, State Judges Are Clowns, Tax Law
* “Ten Worst Things for a Law Prof To Put on a CV.” [The Faculty Lounge]
* Musical Chairs: Sri Srinivasan, chair of the appellate and Supreme Court practice at O’Melveny & Myers, is leaving OMM to serve as principal deputy to Solicitor General Donald Verrilli. [Main Justice]
* Lawyer turned CEO Andy Lansing is looking for a few nice men (and women). [New York Times]
* Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. A dog walks into a bar…. [Volokh Conspiracy]
* What is up with Georgia judges? Another one bites the dust: Judge Douglas Pullen leaves the bench, terminating an investigation by the Judicial Qualifications Commission. [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]
* Congratulations to the recipients of the First Chair Awards for in-house counsel! The awards will be presented tomorrow night. [First Chair Awards]