This is my cat, Chloe. Don't steal her, because she is radioactive.
* The Winklevoss twins finally got the point, and decided to drop their case against Facebook. Like. [Bits / New York Times]
* Spiderman, Spiderman / Allegedly gambling whenever he can. / Makes a bet, any size, / Texas Hold ‘Em debts, he denies. / Look out! Here comes the Spiderman. Tobey Maguire’s new theme song? [Daily Mail]
* The king of DC gender discrimination suits plans to sue the Catholic University of America. Doesn’t he know that single-sex dorms will stop these Catholics from having the premarital sex they allegedly don’t have? [WSJ Law Blog]
* Justice Sotomayor gave a speech to the JDRF Children’s Congress, telling them that they, too, could someday be wise Latinas. Also, something about a Zune? [Los Angeles Times]
* Hey, Judge Gummo, next time you get wasted, please remember that you’re supposed to wear a robe, not a sheet. Judicial conferences aren’t fraternity toga parties, bro. [Daily Journal]
* Alright, I really love animals, but if my boyfriend stole my cat, I wouldn’t sue for $11M. I’d just key his car and slash his tires. You know, the usual. He’d give me back my cat for free. [New York Post]
* Things upon which you can now blame your alleged anti-Semitic remarks: booze, benzos, and sleeping pills. Thanks for that, John Galliano. Mel Gibson, please take note. [New York Magazine]
Ed. note: The Asia Chronicles column is authored by Kinney Recruiting. Kinney has made more placements of U.S. associates, counsels and partners in Asia than any other recruiting firm in each of the past seven years. You can reach them by email: email@example.com.
Things have changed recently in Korea – a few of our US and UK client firms are looking, very selectively, for a lateral US associate hire. Until just recently, there was not much hiring like this going on in Korea, since US and UK firms started opening offices there. We have already placed two US associates in Korea in the past month at top firms. Most of the hiring partners we work with in Korea do not actively work with other recruiters.
If you are a Korean fluent US associate in London, New York or another major US market, 2nd to 6th year, at a top 20 firm, with cap markets or M&A focus (or mix), or project finance background, and you are interested in lateraling to Korea to a top US or UK firm, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Our head of Asia, Evan Jowers, was just in Korea recently, and Evan and Robert Kinney will be in Korea in a few weeks. We are in the process of helping several firms open new offices in Korea (a number of which are interviewing our partner level candidates) and also helping existing offices there fill openings.
Professor Joel P. Trachtman has developed a unique, practical guide to help lawyers analyze, argue, and write effectively.
The Tools of Argument: How the Best Lawyers Think, Argue, and Win is a highly readable 200-page book, available for about $10 in paperback or e-book. Chapters focus on foundational principles in legal argument: procedure, interpretation of contracts and statutes, use of evidence, and more. The material covered is taught only implicitly in law school. Yet, when up-and-coming attorneys master these straightforward tools, they will think and argue like the best lawyers.
For most attorneys, time spent managing the books is a necessary evil at best. Yet it is undeniably a crucial aspect of running a successful practice. With that in mind, we invite you to view or download a free webinar by Above the Law and our friends at Clio to learn how to better manage your finances.
Take this opportunity to learn what it takes to streamline your accounting and get the most out of your time. The webinar agenda:
● The basics of accounting for lawyers.
● How legal accounting differs from regular accounting.
● Report and reconciliation issues surrounding trust accounts.
● How to pick and integrate the best accounting tools for your practice.
● Steps to prepare your tax return for your firm’s income.
Do not miss this crucial chance to optimize your accounting practices. Save time and get back to billing!