Tower Legal Staffing
After suing Biglaw for overtime and losing, a contract attorney is now living out of his car.
* Voters in Scotland just said no to independence from the United Kingdom (although it might not have been a big deal for the legal profession if the vote had gone the other way). [New York Times]
* Congratulations to Drexel Law on a whopping $50 million gift — and its new name, the Thomas R. Kline School of Law. [Philadelphia Inquirer via WSJ Law Blog]
* The latest chapter in the “cautionary tale” of David Lola: dismissal of the contract attorney’s lawsuit against Skadden and Tower Legal. [American Lawyer]
* An office renovation for Baker Botts in Houston strips junior associates of window offices. [ABA Journal]
* How could Watson transform the practice of patent law? [Corporate Counsel]
* Are we seeing a reversal in the trend of declining prison populations? [Washington Post]
* The chorus of voices calling for Judge Mark Fuller to resign in the wake of domestic violence charges against him continues to grow. [New York Times]
It has long been the case in Hong Kong that most UK law firms and a very small minority of US law firms have three month notice periods for their US associates built into their employment contracts. But until about 18 months ago it was not common for any firm to enforce a three month notice period when a US associate left solo[…]
A contract attorney’s overtime suit nearly runs aground when he looked for another job.