When law professors make bad arguments, it’s really just because they don’t have to get jobs in this market.
* Joe Patrice reposted this on his site and I’m linking to it because it’s a great look at the rhetorical weaknesses of the pro-gun argument. It’s old, so you can’t say that he’s being reactionary to the current tragedy. [Recess Appointment]
* Here’s a very good takedown of the self-serving law school rankings from Loyola Law School (LA) Professor Theodore Seto, who magically finds that Loyola Law is the 25th best law school for becoming a Biglaw partner. [Witnesseth]
* Is the procedural posture of same-sex marriage sexy? [Opinionator / New York Times]
* The jury system is dumb. [The Republican]
* Here’s some kind of ridiculous, anti-transparency argument for why posting rate-increase memos would be counterproductive. Lat gets a shout out for not acting like this. [Legal Rebels / ABA Journal]
It has long been the case in Hong Kong that most UK law firms and a very small minority of US law firms have three month notice periods for their US associates built into their employment contracts. But until about 18 months ago it was not common for any firm to enforce a three month notice period when a US associate left solo[…]
Law school is good… law school is bad… make up your mind!
A law professor published a research paper showing the law schools that produce partners at large law firms. Obviously, this list is going to favor elite diploma mills, but there are some interesting surprises. These are rankings worth paying attention to….