* Because of this huge law firm, Dotcom’s bubble has officially burst. Hogan Lovells partner Robert S. Bennett has withdrawn from the Megaupload.com case, citing a conflict of interest with another client. [Reuters]
I don’t know. I don’t look and stare down there.
* And this is why your mother told you not to talk to strangers. [Legal Juice]
* Five useful tips on how to be a better law prof, written by a law prof. Sleeping with students didn’t make the list. [PrawfsBlawg]
* In America, we make television shows about women and their witchy ways. In Saudia Arabia, they just kill them. [Volokh Conspiracy]
* Ryan Gosling’s hotness put to good use for law school finals. [Law School Ryan Gosling]
* We should start preparing for the first Skyrim-based lawsuit. [Slate]
– Joe Amendola, attorney for accused child predator Jerry Sandusky, suggesting in a press conference held earlier today that a reality check was in order for anyone who believes Mike McQueary witnessed a rape, reported it, and nothing was done about it.
(So what is 1-800-REALITY? It’s pretty amazing, actually. Find out after the jump.)
It would be hilarious if the man wasn’t accused of raping little kids. It appears that Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State defensive coordinator who is accused of having sex with little boys, has hired an attorney. Unlike Joe Paterno, who lawyered up with the Biglaw firm of King & Spalding, Sandusky went with attorney Joe Amendola.
You’d think that out of all the attorneys in the world, Sandusky would pick one who had an untarnished record when it comes to sleeping with minors. But you’d be wrong.
Instead, Sandusky went the other way. He didn’t find a lawyer who just slept with a minor, he found one who reportedly impregnated one….
* Leah Ward Sears, who shows up on SCOTUS shortlists, wants to impose a mandatory waiting period… on divorces. It’d be interesting to live in a country where you had to wait for a year to get rid of your spouse, but not to buy a gun. [Slate]
* Speaking of marriage…. Tara Reid was maybe engaged to an accountant? [Going Concern]
* The study doesn’t say that fat people are more likely to miss work; it says that unhealthy people are more likely to miss work. That’s why I discriminate against thin little stress balls that have a conniption every time they see a slice of chocolate cake. [Business Insider]
* Wait, we have a prison rape elimination act? Did we only just now decide that prison rape should be stopped? But it doesn’t apply to everybody in prisons? I’m so confused. [ACLU: Blog of Rights]
* At least Ken Jennings isn’t going to law school. [Ken Jennings]
- Biglaw, Blackberry-Crackberry, Election 2012, Food, Insider Trading, iPhone, Law Schools, Money, Morning Docket, Nauseating Things, Politics, Rape, Sentencing Law, Wall Street, White-Collar Crime
- 4th Circuit, Crime, Football, Free Speech, Health Care / Medicine, Law Schools, Marijuana, Money, Non-Sequiturs, Police, Rape, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, SCOTUS, Sonia Sotomayor
* Just how rich are the members of SCOTUS? When you’re worth $45M, like RBG, you can afford to fall asleep during the State of the Union address. But you can’t afford such luxuries when you’re still Sonia from the block. [Forbes]
* What is law school’s dirty little secret? If you have social skills, you don’t need to be in the top ten percent to get a job. Fair warning, because your mileage may vary with this bit of advice. [Law Riot]
I would love to dominate and humiliate and degrade you, privately of course.
UPDATE (7/25/2013): The charges against Hoffman have been dropped.