As we’ve mentioned before, each week we’ll be highlighting an exciting job opportunity available through Lateral Link, ATL’s career partner.
Yes, we posted a Job of the Week on Tuesday. But that was actually supposed to have been the Job of the Week for last week, when we forgot to post one. So here’s the offering for this week:
Employer: American Capital
Position: Assistant GC Deal Origination (M&A) (years 2000-2002)
Position Description: Mid-level/senior transactional position to work with the Company’s Vice President and Associate General Counsel and business deal teams to originate ACAS buyouts and equity investment transactions. Conduct all phases of the investment process in-house (no outside corporate counsel involvement other than specialists), including completion of term sheets, legal due diligence, retention and supervision of outside specialist counsel, drafting and negotiation of acquisition documentation and closing.
More details, after the jump.
Primary transactions to include:
Leveraged Buyout and Mergers and Acquisition Transactions (70%): Leveraged buyout acquisitions in-house, which would include acquisition, equity investment and debt documentation in one transaction. Review, draft and negotiate term sheets, confidentiality agreements, acquisition agreements, earn-out agreements, seller notes, closing certificates and related documentation.
Private Equity Growth Investments and “Equity Kickers” (30%): Growth equity investments in preferred and common stock, including stand alone investments, side-by-side investments as part of related debt investments and “equity kickers” in mezzanine loan transactions. Review, draft and negotiate equity purchase agreements, terms of preferred and common equity, charters and other formation documents, warrants, LLC operating agreements and shareholder and registration rights agreements.
Other responsibilities to include due diligence, coordinating closing sets with legal assistant and post-closing investment follow up.
– 5th to 7th year associate at major national law firm
– Top academics.
– Substantial leveraged buyouts or mergers and acquisitions experience.
– Significant experience as lead transactional attorney on major deals desired. Willingness to accept varied roles with the long term goal to run transactions on his/her own. Candidate should expect to initially accept “second chair” role but have the ability and desire to step in as principal attorney as needed. Essentially looking for team player who can function within a flexible management style that adjusts to the needs of the deal teams at the direction of the Associate General Counsel.
– Willingness to perform all deal related tasks from due diligence to drafting, negotiating and closing.
– Comfort with dealing directly with business principals and partner-level opposing counsel a must. Confidence to make the tough call, to communicate with confidence and to work in fast-paced deal environment with sophisticated business clients.
– Business oriented, practical and bottom-line approach to decision making (versus overlawyering and academic). Maturity and practical thinking necessary.
– Ability to function in an unstructured environment with independence and autonomy. Self-motivated and detail oriented person.
– Generally flexible with working hours versus strict need for predictable schedule.
To apply for this position, please visit laterallink.com.
[Disclosure: As you've surely noticed, a commercial relationship exists between ATL and Lateral Link. This post should be viewed as advertising rather than editorial content. Thank you.]