Summer associate class sizes might be shrinking, but for those law students lucky enough to make it into a summer program, life is good. The offers are being given out liberally, and the summer events are just as fun as ever.
Need proof? Just consider the six excellent events that we’ve selected for the finals of this year’s summer associate event contest. Some were cultural extravaganzas, others were athletic outings, but all were fun and fabulous. Thanks to everyone who submitted a nomination.
Vote below for your favorite. Without further ado, here they are:
1. Kirkland & Ellis: The New York office of Kirkland took summers to see Shakespeare in the Park — a coveted ticket here in Manhattan, generally requiring a wait of many hours. But not for VIPs at K&E:
We saw The Comedy of Errors — it was awesome. The dinner was catered/open bar backstage; we could see the dancers rehearsing behind the set as we ate. An actress in the show, Emily Bergl, apparently had connections to Kirkland somehow, and hung out with us during dinner. And then Jesse Tyler Ferguson (of Modern Family, starring in the show) photobombed our class photo!
2. Morrison & Foerster: Hang ten, MoFos! The San Diego office held a surfing event, replete with lessons, at the beautiful Del Mar beaches:
Summer associates, some associates, and some partners all met at the beach (which is less than 10 minutes from our office) at 9:30 on a weekday. [B]ringing a date/spouse was allowed. We were all given a suit/board and then were given a lesson by a professional group that does this sort of thing. We all surfed for a few hours on some fantastic waves. Then we had a delicious lunch at a local restaurant before trickling back into the office afterwards. It was fabulous!
The San Francisco/Silicon Valley offices of Ropes & Gray had an event involving trampoline dodgeball. I thought it was a great idea, because it was an easy way to break the ice (especially when you can laugh over a group of ten-year-old boys beating a group of attorneys). I imagine it was also low budget, which is great during these times. It was a lot of fun!
4. Schulte Roth & Zabel: “Beyonce Concert!!!!” ‘Nuff said. (Multiple exclamation points in the original.)
5. Shearman & Sterling: Move over, Mrs. Carter. On July 19, Shearman took its entire New York summer class, along with partner and associate mentors, to the Jay Z and Justin Timberlake concert at Yankee Stadium. Seats were excellent, scattered in groups of four to eight throughout the lower bowl of the stadium. “It was an amazing event!”
6. Skadden Arps: We heard that Skadden’s traditional MoMA party in New York was a time to remember (especially for the two full-time lawyers, not summers, who “managed to break a bathroom sink while they were, shall we say, making their own modern art”). But the contest nomination this year goes to Skadden’s Wilmington office, which took summers and assorted associates and partners to see the Rolling Stones when the Stones were in Philadelphia. Maybe you can’t always get what you want, but if you work at Skadden, you can get “club seats — absolutely awesome!”
So, readers, what will it be? A concert by a member of the First Family of Brooklyn? A spectacular sporting event, like surfing or dodgeball? An evening with a great bard, like William Shakespeare or Mick Jagger? Cast your vote now (voting closes on SUNDAY, AUGUST 11, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time):
Which firm put on the best summer associate event of 2013?
- Kirkland & Ellis - Shakespeare in the Park (26%, 427 Votes)
- Morrison & Foerster - Surfing Event (22%, 368 Votes)
- Skadden Arps - Rolling Stones Concert (18%, 293 Votes)
- Shearman & Sterling - Jay Z / Justin Timberlake Concert (17%, 277 Votes)
- Ropes & Gray - Trampoline Dodgeball (10%, 170 Votes)
- Schulte Roth & Zabel - Beyonce Concert (7%, 124 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,659
Earlier: The Incredible Shrinking Biglaw Summer Associate Class Size
What Was The Best Biglaw Summer Associate Event Of 2013?
Summer Associate Offer Rates (2013): A Round-Up
Summer Associate Offer Rates (2013): Open Thread
ATL Summer Associate Event Contest: The Winner!
ATL Summer Associate Event Contest: The Finalists
What Was The Best Biglaw Summer Associate Event Of 2012?