Joshua Stein is the sole principal of Joshua Stein PLLC, a prominent commercial real estate law practice in Manhattan. For more information on the author, visit www.joshuastein.com.
Desiree Moore is the President and founder of Greenhorn Legal, LLC. Greenhorn Legal offers intensive practical skills training programs for law students and new lawyers as they transition from law school into their legal practices. Ms. Moore is the author of the new book, Thrive – A New Lawyer’s Guide to Law Firm Practice (American Bar Association, 2012). Get your copy here! Have questions or just want to chat? You can contact Ms. Moore at: email@example.com, on Facebook, or on Twitter at @greenhornlegal.
“Lateral Link has proven to be an effective partner in our quest to attract talented lateral candidates, demonstrating that they understand our practice area needs and our historic strong commitment to hire the highest-quality associates available.”
Steven E. Sletten; Hiring Partner, currently with Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, LLP
What’s your recruiting style?
Making a move to another employer can be an anxiety-filled event so I like to team up with the candidates I work with and become fully involved and invested in each step of the process; as if it were me making the change. I meet with candidates to ascertain their unique experience and follow up with ideas to assist them in achieving their long-term professional goals. My hope is that this process leads to the candidate making decisions that is best-suited for them. On the employer side, I attend meetings with the hiring managers and/or partners to fill a dual purpose: to stay abreast of the changing employment needs of the firm, company or organization and to get to know a particular employer’s distinct culture and environment.
“Justin Flowers, Lateral Link’s Director for International Placements, was direct, straightforward, and a valuable resource from the beginning regarding every aspect of the international search process. He was able to get me multiple interviews and ultimately placed me in an outstanding Asia practice. Justin not only knows the international markets and has strong relationships with key players, but he also really listens to what both clients and candidates are looking for in order to achieve the best possible solution for both.”
NYU Law School Alumnus; placed at Milbank Tweed – Hong Kong
“When it comes to recruiting, we are among the most demanding in the U.S. Lateral Link pre-screens candidates and finds us people with the credentials we require—without exception.”
A. William Urquhart; Hiring Partner, currently with Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Please welcome Keith Lee of Associate’s Mind, our newest columnist covering the world of small law firms.
Matt Kaiser outlines the most common paths into a popular practice area.
The clients in secondary markets are the same, but they expect a different kind of service.
Small-firm columnist Carolyn Elefant questions whether new technological platforms cure the most significant problem that deters some lawyers from representing very small business clients.
We know sex sells, but does it sell legal services? Here’s the winner of our latest caption contest.
Many corporations devote far more effort than large law firms do to coaching of employees. Is this a good or bad thing?
* Oh baby (or the lack thereof): the Supreme Court has decided to take on two of the cases asserting religious challenges to the Affordable Care Act’s contraception coverage mandate. [Blog of Legal Times]
* “[H]e has a Rolodex like a Ferris wheel.” Delaware’s Supreme Court Chief Justice is retiring from the bench to join Potter Anderson & Corroon, where that Rolodex will come in handy. [Wall Street Journal]
* Italian prosecutors think Amanda Knox should be convicted of murder (again) and given a 30-year sentence in a retrial she’s not even there for. This kind of sounds like it’d be a double-secret conviction. [CNN]
* With fall finals right around the corner, law students can take comfort in the fact that next week they’ll be soothed by therapy dogs — ones that’ll need therapy after dealing with law students. [WSJ Law Blog]
* If you’re considering applying to law school against all odds, you should determine when the right time to apply would be. Don’t listen to your parents, listen to your gut. [Law Admissions Lowdown / U.S. News]
* If you haven’t heard, the Beastie Boys are having a copyright fight with toymaker GoldieBlox over a parody of the song “Girls” that’s been used in a commercial. Fair use? Decide after the jump. [NBC News]
What led the McKenna Long partnership to reject the overtures of Dentons?
We know sex sells, but does it sell legal services?
The New York City office of Epstein Becker & Green seeks an attorney to work at the level of a fourth to sixth year associate to join its national employer-side labor and employment practice. Knowledge of the full range of federal and state employment statutes, prior litigation experience, and experience and knowledge with matters involving all aspects of labor and employment law, including discrimination, wrongful discharge, harassment, wage & hour and employment contract cases is needed.