Recent Headlines from Above the Law
Students in the Two-Summer Patent Program begin prosecuting patents on their very first day on the job. Learn more about it here.
* Why are so many law grads failing the bar exam? Law profs, a law dean, and a Biglaw recruiting specialist all have answers to this question… and only some of them come close to being satisfactory. [Room for Debate / New York Times]
* Jurors in the Dewey & LeBoeuf trial have deliberated for five days thus far, and seem to be no closer to coming to a verdict than when they first started. They’re quibbling over thesaurus entries for the word “fake” (i.e., “fake income”). [Am Law Daily]
* Thanks to the OnRamp Fellowship, more women lawyers are making a reentry into the legal profession through Biglaw firms than ever before. Participating firms now include Skadden Arps and MoFo, amongst others. Congrats! [Big Law Business / Bloomberg BNA]
* Law school enrollment may be stagnant across the country, but at Colorado Law, it’s booming. The size of the school’s incoming class is 22 percent larger than last year’s was. What can we say other than students were sTOKEd to get in. [Boulder Daily Camera]
* If you’re ever fired from your job, charged with insider trading, and the SEC wants access to your work phone, take heart in the fact that your personal passcode is just that — personal. The SEC can’t treat it as a business record thanks to this ruling. [WSJ Law Blog]
* Richard Cudahy Sr., longtime Seventh Circuit judge, RIP. [Milwaukee Journal Sentinel]
* Tough legal questions that need to be answered: What to do when you inherit a school bus full of guns? [Adequate Man]
* Do you know when to quit Biglaw? If you’re miserable, when should you start the search for your next career? [Corporette]
* When it is Justice v. Football on college campuses, justice usually loses — a look at Baylor’s investigation of Sam Ukwuachu. [Deadspin]
* Finally, a job that makes Biglaw look appealing. [Careerist]
* A Biglaw firm doing parental leave right. [Talentkeepers]
* What is real? Can it be the essence of a character distilled? [What About Paris]
* Toddlers’ favorite lawyer makes a late night appearance [YouTube]
Which firms cracked Vault’s list of best summer programs?
What’s your firm doing to show its love for summer associates?
Here’s a report on this educational and enjoyable event.
Apply today to take the ATL and Morrison & Foerster Effective Communication Challenge, an innovative law student competition hosted by BARBRI. Winners will receive Apple Watches courtesy of MoFo.