Las Vegas federal courthouse Lloyd D George federal courthouse.jpgMonday’s shootout at the Lloyd George Courthouse in Las Vegas can be described as tragic, frightening, and now, surreal. Reports are out this morning that the gunman, Johnny Lee Wicks, previously served prison time for killing his brother. The ABA Journal collects the information:

Stories by the Associated Press, the Las Vegas Review-Journal, and the Memphis Commercial Appeal detail Wicks’ criminal past.
Wicks killed his brother after an argument escalated over whether his motorcycle could outrun his brother’s car, according to the Commercial Appeal account. Wicks had claimed he killed his brother in self defense, although no weapon was found near the body. He was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to 55 years in prison. On appeal, the sentence was reduced to 12 to 15 years, and Wicks was paroled after serving six years.

I’m not a huge fan of taking legal advice from the Bible, but surely killing your brother because you’re jealous over his sheep car deserves a harsher penalty than six years.
But we’re not done with Johnny Lee Wicks’s past. More after the jump.

Wicks killed innocent people over a Social Security benefits dispute, and he killed his brother over a theoretical drag race. I can’t say I’m surprised by the next entries on his rap sheet. The Washington Post reports:

He was accused of assault to commit rape in Sacramento in 1989, according to the FBI. But prosecutors rejected that case for insufficient evidence, said Albert Locher, assistant Sacramento County district attorney.
Wicks served jail time after pleading no contest to domestic battery in Sacramento in 1995, court records show.

Reports say law enforcement fired 81 shots in Wicks’s general direction. I guess it sometimes takes a lot of effort to stop the crazy and deranged.
Las Vegas Shooter Had Served Time for Killing His Brother [ABA Journal]
Officials cast Vegas shooting as ‘suicide mission’ [Washington Post]
Earlier: Las Vegas Shooter Follow-Up
Breaking: Shooting at Federal Courthouse in Las Vegas

29 comments (hidden for your protection) Show all comments

29 thoughts on “Las Vegas Courthouse Shooter Had Murderous Past

Elie, what was the race of the shooter?

I agree with Elie that no murderer should be allowed back on the streets after serving 6 years. I find it appalling how often one reads about travesties exactly like this one. Of course, one only hears about these stories after the murderers commit still more murders upon their release.

It does indeed take a lot. Look how many comments we’ve shot in Lat’s direction asking him to stop the madness which is your continued employment, to now avail.

I not a huge fan of Elie.

Every negative comment towards Elie causes a child to die in Africa.

Can someone (namely an unemployed attorney) teach the Las Vegas PD’s to shoot?

7. Affirmative Walrus says:

I not a huge fan of racist verbs, either.
    Remember, you Aryan hate-mongers: “Bullets don’t care about race.” But I’ll tell you who might, a convicted murder, sentenced to 55 years and out after only serving 6. A black man so mistreated has every right to go on a rampage for having his entitlements cut.
    SELF-AWARE BULLETS SECURE

Suck my ass, Mysal, you race bating, obese, white baby eating, WALRUS!

No comment on notorious murderers always including their middle name? see e.g., LHO & JWB

How did a man convicted of killing his brother and attemtping rape have access to a gun?
    Oh I am sorry. I forgot. We NEED guns. More guns. You know, Scalia wants us to have guns…

11- If you don’t have a gun, how can you shoot your friends in the face?

If you read history, many of the three-name people do become assassins.
    J. Seinfeld

I’m just thinking out loud here, but can the families of the killed courthouse officers sue Wicks’s former defense attorney under the Good Samaritan liability statute?
    — Elie Mystal, one of the Top 100 Emerging and Established Black Leaders

Why would Las Vegas have a courthouse named after a British Prime Minister?

jealous over sheep. hmmmmmm

to view a partial list of crimes committed by FBI agents over 1500 pages long see
    forums.signonsandiego. com/showthread.php?t=59139
    to view a partial list of FBI agents arrested for pedophilia see
    dallasnews. com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3574

I would rather nail a nice fluffy sheep in the ass than some obese blubbery WALRUS!

Pretty sure Wicks had his gun illegally, which is just another example showing that criminals don’t care about gun laws. The only thing more LEGAL guns would have done was give these people a chance to defend themselves and possibly saved some lives.

every now and again the comments section here creeps me out. bizarre and ugly competing for top reaction.

11 – I completely agree. Black people should not be allowed to own guns.

::sigh::
    Why did we bring the blacks to this country? They’ve only caused us trouble. Look at countries in Europe: the fewer blacks, the greater the prosperity and happiness of the general populations.

I sure hope that nobody mentions the fact that this shooter is black. Furthermore, I really hope that nobody mentions that this is what white people can expect in Obama’s America. I really hope those things dont happen.

this is where the commentariat reveals itself to be a cesspool. ugh.

@15, you mean it’s named after a British prime minister?
    I thought that maybe Lloyd was Boy George’s real name or something.

10 — No comment because Sondheim and Weidman already commented on that at least 15 years ago.

Serving six years for murder? WTF? Non-violent drug dealers do more time than that. As far as I’m concerned murder and rape should mean automatic life. f not that, time served should be at least enough to make the guy mid to late fifties before he’s out. Less of a threat in old age.

I’m a white man, but I feel like a black man today.

Six years for murder makes sense, considering how overcrowded prisons are with people convicted for the possession of plants.

81 shots? Who was shooting at him, Ken Boss and Sean Carroll?