Celebrities, Movies, Pictures

The Best Legal Movies Of All Time

The 86th annual Academy Awards ceremony is this Sunday. It may be amid reviewing stacks of documents, but you know you’re going to be watching — hardly anything else will be on television that night. What better way for lawyers to celebrate the occasion than to learn up on and study the best legal movies of all time?

Can you guess what the top 10 legal movies are? Do you know which ones had the most Oscar wins? Don’t worry, we’ll help you out with that. Keep reading to find out the answers to these questions…

Behold the handiwork of Adam Banner of the Oklahoma Legal Group (click to enlarge):

21 Responses to “The Best Legal Movies Of All Time”

1. learned paw says:

I approve of this post.

2. Partner Emeritus says:

“To Kill A Mockingbird” is tops on my list. I saw it during the Winter break of ’62 and the film inspired many sharp folks to become lawyers. I also recall driving to the Brooklyn Promenade with a coed after watching the movie and being galvanized to make love to her while the Four Seasons’ “Big Girls Don’t Cry” played on the radio. Good times indeed.

Nowadays, the typical millennial will claim “Legally Blonde” was the best all-time legal movie and the basis of their inspiration to attend law school.

If you don’t think the legal profession is in a precarious state, re-read my last paragraph. ‘Nuff said.

3. JackieChilesIsSpeechless says:

This list is bullsh*t. The best legal movie is Used Cars. Most realistic courtroom scene in a movie, ever.

4. JoePesci says:

Thanks for the My Cousin Vinny honorable mention. But I think Goodfellas is the best legal movie of all time. You got a problem with that? You think I’m being funny? Yah, I didn’t think so.

• Brocaine_Brandy says:

Would you say that the good people of the tri-state area need you on that metaphorical wall?

-Marine colonel interested in a career change

• BlackstoneMN says:

I always thought Goodfellas was a great comedy. Then again, I laughed through the Godfather trilogy too.

5. Dave'sNotHere. says:

Used Cars is the Best movie ever!(you know) Remember when the lil football players fall outta the station wagon. Classic stuff. Great courtroom ending to Caine Mutiny with Jose Ferrer and EG Marshall also. So many.

6. JinCLE says:

How is Judge Dredd not on this list? He IS the law.

7. TheCommonwealthComplainer says:

I’m sorry, what was the criteria for something to be considered a legal movie? Did I miss something or is Animal House a bit of a stretch?

8. Harry Hood says:

what about “A civil action” great cast and great movie…. not even an honorable mention

9. They_call_me_DOCTOR_Stubbs says:

Paul Newman was great in The Verdict, but it’s too unrealistic to belong on the list. I would add Prince of the City and King and Country.

10. magua_ESQ says:

I think the entire filmography of Long Dong Silver, the celebrated actor made famous by Anita Hill’s testimony, should have made the cut.

Or maybe we need to be more clear on the criteria for a ‘legal movie’.

11. BarbaraSeville says:

Any such list that omits The Three Stooges’ “Disorder in the Court” doesn’t deserve to be taken seriously.

12. Motion_to_Dismiss says:

No “Legal Eagles”? Are you kidding?

13. StrangerInTheDay says:

The real shame is that Roshomon, #93 on the IMDB 250 did not get in. It won the Academy Award for best foreign film in 1952.

14. My Debtor's Prison says:

Can we not do that thing where 1) any movie involving litigation is a legal movie and 2) assume the best thing to entertain aspiring, practicing, failed and ex lawyers is hackneyed “legal” themed media.

15. Alvin Leung says:

How did “Find Me Guilty” didn’t make the list?? Maybe for the same reasons that “Gravity” is Oscar worthy …