L. Charles Landgraf
Which high-profile ex-partners of Dewey & LeBoeuf have signed up for the global settlement, and how much are they paying?
Here are spreadsheets showing how much Dewey’s 109 most highly compensated partners earned in 2011 and 2012, along with how much they are being asked to contribute in “clawbacks” under the “Partnership Contribution Plan.” Enjoy!
Dewey & LeBoeuf is preparing itself for the afterlife: it’s shedding overseas offices, sending partners packing, and finding new takers for its real estate (and its pension obligations).
* When Dewey tell the world that we’re dead, but not yet buried? The firm filed a notice with the New York State Department of Labor listing its closing date as yesterday. And what’s their reason for doing so? “Economic.” [Am Law Daily (sub. req.)]
* “The continuing loss of revenue-generating partners and Dewey’s debt load has culminated in the imminent demise of Dewey.” Damn, the PBGC certainly doesn’t mince words. Say hello to the flailing firm’s latest lawsuit of many. [Reuters]
* A judge reinstated Le-Nature’s $500M case against K&L Gates for failure to detect fraud. Hope the firm has a half-billion lying around — they haven’t been doing too well with the whole honesty thing lately. [Businessweek]
* You stay classy, DSK! Your aggravated pimp hand is strong! Dominique Strauss-Kahn filed a $1M countersuit against Nafissatou Diallo because she “ruined his life, personally and professionally.” [Wall Street Journal]
* Conspiring to price fix? There’s an app for that! A federal judge denied Apple’s and several book publisher’s motions to dismiss a consumer class-action lawsuit about e-book pricing. [Media Decoder / New York Times]
* Now this is some backwards ass Fern Gully sh*t. A judge refused to dismiss Chevron’s racketeering and fraud lawsuit against New York attorney Steven Donziger for his work done in Ecuador. [New York Law Journal]
* Thomas Jefferson Law will be the site of the next solo incubator. This is a great way to keep your grads from suing you (not to mention a great way to increase your employed-at-nine-months rate). [National Law Journal]
Dewey have news for you: who’s to blame for the firm’s downfall, more partner departures, and revelations about ex-chairman Steve Davis’s personal life….