George W. Bush
* George W. Bush shows up for jury duty. Sadly he wasn’t empaneled, which was a real shame for the prosecutors because you know he doesn’t need actual evidence to make bold decisions. [ABC News]
* Here’s a clever way to get out of a traffic stop: call in a nearby murder. [Legal Juice]
* Performance-enhancing drugs are becoming a scourge in… eSports. Apparently getting really twisted on Adderall and playing StarCraft II for money is a thing. Well, pack it in everyone. We had a good run, human civilization. [The Legal Geeks]
* “A wealthy oligarchy of donors is dominating the 2016 election.” Not true. Based on the polls it’s dominated by an oligarchy of one. [Election Law Blog]
* “Pay your f**king bill… don’t be a f**king shlub.” [South Florida Lawyers]
* Lex Machina is offering a free trial to its news Trademark Litigation Update newsletter. [Lex Machina]
What gem of prosanity is in our latest pro se filing?
In just a couple of hours, you can learn how to approach your essays with much more confidence and be much better prepared to pass the bar exam. Professor Marino’s famous Essay Method has successfully helped thousands of bar takers and it can work for you, too! Click here to learn more about getting extra points on your […]
* Barack Obama is trailing George W. Bush when it comes to leaving his mark on the federal courts, but that’s probably because Senate Democrats didn’t go nuclear quickly enough. [Blog of Legal Times]
* When it comes to 2013, one thing’s for sure: it wasn’t boring. Many of this year’s movers and shakers hailed from top Am Law 100 law firms — like Ted Cruz (formerly of Morgan Lewis). [American Lawyer]
* John Ray III isn’t going to sit back and allow a jury to shut down his discrimination and retaliation case against Ropes & Gray. He filed a notice of appeal last week, and he’s pissed off. [National Law Journal]
* Utah has until the end of January to figure out how it’s going to go about defending its same-sex marriage ban before the Tenth Circuit. Just a thought: the “it’s still gay, even if the balls don’t touch” theory of law isn’t going to cut it. [Deseret News]
* A lawyer for the Texas judge accused of strangling his girlfriend is offering media outlets a superb defense story on behalf of his client. He wasn’t trying to kill her, he was trying to save her! [New York Daily News]
* Here’s some advice on how to submit your law school application on time. If you don’t know how to meet a deadline, you’re going to make a great lawyer. [Law Admissions Lowdown / U.S. News & World Report]
Attorney thought he could cash in with tell-all exposé. State Supreme Court disagrees.
Yesterday was the tenth anniversary of the day a little-known heroin addict called Russell Brand turned up for work dressed as Osama Bin Laden, and was promptly fired by his then-employer, MTV. After some ensuing years knocking around the lower echelons of British light entertainment, Brand got himself together and landed a role presenting the […]
When asked about the decision in Bush v. Gore, Justice Antonin Scalia — one of the best legal minds in modern American history — tells questioners to “get over it.” That’s right, the Supreme Court decided the winner of a popular presidential election, and one of the architects of that decision wants people to not […]
Sam, you ought to thank Harriet Miers for making this possible. — President George W. Bush to newly confirmed Justice Samuel Alito, as recounted in President Bush’s new memoir, Decision Points (via Jan Crawford).